Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep was first released in Japan in December, 1993. It was the number one selling game the week after its release. The first English language version was released in 1994 for the Sega CD. After many delays, the U.S. and European versions for Macintosh, PC and Amiga were released by Interplay Productions in 1995 and 1996.
The game is available on PC, Amiga, Macintosh, Sega CD (North America) / Mega CD (Europe and Japan), PC-9801, PC-9821, IBM PS/V and FM-Towns.
I gathered the Dungeon Master II reference information you will find on this site by playing with the PC version of Dungeon Master II.
Here are some differences between the versions of the game:
- Graphics: There are many graphical differences between the PC and Amiga versions. For example, the title and endgame animations are very different. Items graphics also change: the Amiga version uses many "old" 16 colors graphics from the first Dungeon Master, whereas the PC version has new 256 colors graphics.
While the PC-9821 has normal graphics, the screenshots on Dungeon Master II for PC-9801 show bad quality dithered graphics.
- Credits: The PC version has an animation for credits.
- Music: The game music is different in each version of the game: the PC version uses MIDI music (which therefore sounds differently on different sound cards), the Amiga version uses MODules, and the SegaCD version uses Audio CD tracks.
- Screen layouts: As visible on the screenshots on Dungeon Master II for Macintosh page, this version includes two screen layouts: a normal and a compact layout.
Promotional XL T-Shirt
- Front / Back / Front Detail / Back Detail
Michael from Germany says about this T-shirt: "I got mine on the CeBit in Germany (I think it was the year when DMII was released). It was a price (for the looser ;) ) of a little game on one stand of the either Vobis or Escom (former Hardware Vendors in Germany)."
Additional information about the origin of the Dungeon Master II T-Shirt: was it bundled with some versions of the game? in which country?
If you can help, please E-mail
me! Check Contributions wanted
for a list of other missing content.
Dungeon Master II for Sega CD Advertisement published in American magazine 'Wizard Magazine', Issue #38 October 1994, Page 29
Dungeon Master II for Amiga Advertisement published in German magazine 'Power Play', September 1995
[Supplied by Pierre Monnot, Source: Kultpower]
Dungeon Master II for Amiga Advertisement published in British magazine 'Amiga Power', Issue #56 December 1995, Page 76
[Supplied by Steve Hood]
Dungeon Master II Cover published in Czech magazine 'Score', Issue #19 July 1995, Page 1
[Supplied by DJ Oldgames, Source: oldgames.sk]